Sunday, October 16, 2005

Climb every mountain!!

I got out of bed at the obscene time of 4:30am to trek to Berrowra for the Striders Star this morning... but ohhh so worth it! This has to be the hardest long run I have done, but by far the most enjoyable! This run looped around the suburban streets for a while and then headed into the bush for what can only be described as bloody tough! This was a VERY hilly run.... both steep ups and cliff like drops. At one point I was nearly on my bum trying to scamper down a really steep section. It did occur to me as we were going down, down, down that we would need to come back up again, but shuddered to think. Any way needless to say the 4 or 5 kms straight up certainly made me aware of muscles I had forgotten existed :) It was also at this point the 6:30 fast group caught me and effortlessly ran past me... was I stuck in one spot??? Head down bum up so to speak I just kept going and was very pleased to have made it to the top with only one brief stop. The views of the valley were fantastic and all the birds and bush smells made this a wonderful run! I really love running in the bush and was very envious of Gail who proudly announced that this was basically her back yard and was able to do most of her runs in the bush- also gave me a running commentary on the area which was really great. Definately beats King Georges Road :) I have sore feet and heels after this mornings effort and am hoping a bit of a nap and massage will fix that up! It goes without saying the rest of me is also a little sore and sorry :)

Overall I covered about 20km in 2hrs and 5mins- give or take as Gandalf cut out a few times in the bush. I averaged about 5:20/km on the road sections and averaged 6:15/km for the whole run.... some of the bush sections were difficult to scramble, let alone run. I did not need a gu on the run and felt strong when I finished... except my muscles were definately tired and sore form all the hills. The pace of the run was pretty easy to maintain... breathing was even and not puffed (except going up that awful 5km hill!)

The plan for the rest of the day... nothing :) I am feeling really warm and fuzzy... these runs always give me really happy glow (endorphins I know). I was also really excited to read that Ewan did an awesome time at FF marathon yeasteday 3: 12 or something close too it. I was so happy and excited for him... reading his race report and hearing about great runs like this just make me more determined and excited about Canberra.

5 comments:

Horrie said...

That's a great run today Katie. That is probably the toughest STaR so you sound as though you held your pace well. I know the feeling when the fast guys go past. It does feel as though you are nailed to the ground. You are training really solidly. Great stuff!

Tesso said...

Sounds like a brilliant run Katie. Don't you sometimes wish you had a camera on you.

Funny how it it feels so 'good' after a long tough run, when you are sore, and tired, and shattered :-)

Jen said...

Sounds like a great run Kit. Can't wait to join you on STaRs - though I will be a long way behind you, LOL!

J.

2P said...

SOunds like you had a great hit out Kit - congratulations

CJ said...

That sounded like one helluva tough run so well done. It sounds like you handled it really well - the fitness is paying dividends.