Week: 25km
Month: 272km
Year: 272km
This morning I needed L plates! Now ask yourself 'how hard is it to run a race?'.... surely you stand on the line, the gun goes off you run and stop when you cross the finish. Easy! Well I managed to get quite confused and muck it up a bit this morning! Now I know being a social worker maths is not my strong point... but this was ridiculous. I had it in my head that this was a 2 lap course.... so when we were about 800m out from what I thought would be the finish I put the foot down and absoulutely put 100% effort in. Then started to wonder why people kept going... D'oh- 2kms to go. What an idiot! I even had looked at my watch and thought 6km another 2 to go... not even thinking that what I though was the finish was only 1km away not 2km. Hahaha how disapointed! So I raced 6km and ran the last 2km dejected. Then I was unsure where the actual finish was, until I almost ran into the people in front... ok now we have fiished! I have no idea what happened to my brain this morning... every one else seemed to work it out ok- I was a bit slow on the uptake! Hahaha at least I was not the only one- with poor Belinda not finding the finish either and consequently costing about a minute! So I obviously need some practice at racing hahaha. The good thing was up until my miscalculation I was feeling really comfortable and maintianing a pretty good pace. In saying all that I started out saying any thing under 40mins I would be happy with and I finished 39:57 so I can't complain :-) So an important lesson learnt.... check out the course before you run... handy to know where your going! As Forrest Gump says.. "thats all I am going to say about that".
It was great to meet up with all the cool runners and striders this morning- lots of support as we ran which was very much appreciated!! Finally met up with Go Girl and caught up with fellow team J memeber Tess! I would like to take the time here to mention a very special little man who put in 110% effort this morning and was a real champion.... ( sorry DJ I am not talking about your hill efforts!).... Horrie and Belindas little one Tim!
He put in a really gutsy effort and gave it all he had. On the last lap he was giving us a wave and high fiving... that was until he spied his mum and absoulutely put the gas on and flew home. He has made a huge improvement since I saw him last run at Maroubra about 4 months ago. I love to see people giving it all they have and having a ball! Truely inspirational. So I am following Steve's example and going to crown Tim Cool Runner of the week!
Tim putting on his final sprint!!
Leaving horrie for dust!!!
Horrie the coach!
Sean (Long Arms) flying!
Blue dog flying even after 17km last night... what a ledgend!
Me... How far is this again????
Flakey looking good!!! Saving some juice for his surf race this arvo.
Go Tess!!!Today: 10km- 8km race, 1km warm up cool down
Splits: (from Garmin)
1km 4:52
2km 4:57
3km 4:27
4km 4:36
5km 4:17
6km 4:40
7km 4:53
8km 5:15
380m 1:58
Average pace: 4:47/km
6 comments:
I'm sure you're not the first person to make that mistake Kit. Well done on your time anyway!
Well done hanging in there for the last 2 km. Good practice for Canberra!
It was a complicated course layout.
Nice photos.
I thought it was two laps as well and the end was a bit confusing with people standing in front of the clock. Well run today anyway.
Time spent on recce's is never wasted Kit ;-)
Nice result sub 40mins for 8k though and fantastic pictures too!
Great run Katie. You looked good out there the first couple of times we saw you. The course was a bit of a schmozle. Thanks for your kind words Katie. Tim did have a great run yesterday and is on the improve. We will run the 5km in Canberra and he will cheer you on with Belinda for your debut marathon.
*LOL* I have done that before, in a half marathon! I have an 8km race on Sunday - I'll keep your advice in mind and make sure I at least know where I'm going!
Still, its a good 10km time - nothing to be unhappy about.
Hope you had a lovely massage - I have one in a couple of weeks I think. Can't come soon enough.
Great photos. I have to say Tesso is looking very very fit - I want those abs!
Post a Comment